I found, yesterday, a very reasonable explanation for why the cells showed a large difference. It's all about the difference in ambient that each cell sees. The write up is in our EverNote experiment notebook here: https://www.evernote.com/pub/malachiheder/celanicellusv1.3evernotelog
That meant that I had to make an addendum to my preliminary report I made a couple weeks ago. That is here: Report with Addendum
Dr Kidwell, my happiness is off the charts.
The end result is that I am even more committed to surveying the history of experiments and replications and look for opportunities to do validation/replication.